Thursday, July 22, 2021

Why a Terrier?


So those who know me (Amy) will know that I love my big dogs. Danes, Bullmastiffs and Bull Terriers are some of my favourites. I love Dobermans, Rottweilers, Staffies too. So you many be thinking, why did you get Noddy who is such a small dog!?

Well...

Our girls all came out of rescue, I absolutely love having a 'project dog' NOT that all rescue dogs need work but I enjoy the ones that do need that extra helping hand, it's so rewarding and I just love that bond which is like no other. For a change though, just once, out of interest from a trainer point of view more than anything, I wanted a blank canvas, a clean slate to start from scratch with. I was looking for something very specific, a dog who would be able to go everywhere with me, a dog with fairly high energy levels who loves being active and likes having a job to do. I also wanted a dog who'd be a great lapdog for those days at home, who was up for anything but also likes a cuddle. I wanted a high drive dog as I knew I wanted to progress in various dog sports, agility especially. I wanted something small and easily portable but hardy and confident. We'd had Terrier family pets my whole life, Jack Russels and JRT mixes and I just love their quirky personality and how feisty they can be despite their small size and cute faces. I say they're like big dogs in little bodies as they're just bursting with character and cheekiness. 

Of all the working Terriers the Patterdale/Lakeland/Fell type just fit the bill perfectly and so the search began. I had in mind a chocolate smooth coat Patterdale but I believe everything happens for a reason and we were meant to have Noddy - a fuzzy ginger. 

I saw the litter advertised by a local breeder, I showed the photo to Andy and asked which pup he'd choose - he picked Noddy (who's litter name was Crag), after enquiring it turned out that he was the only pup left not reserved. We went to see him the next day and fell in love, we met his parents who were both perfect looks and temperament wise and although we spent a lonnnng time talking and thinking it over, being sensible, there was no way we could turn him down. I actually went prepared with the deposit payment in my bag! 🙊

Terriers aren't everyone's cup of tea and I can totally see why. They're not easy, they're not for the faint hearted, they're bred to chase and kill and they need an outlet for that natural drive. BUT in the right hands, given the opportunity to shine they are the best little all rounders. They'll rise to anything, give everything their best effort, they'll make you laugh (and cry, and pull your hair out) but they're SO much fun. 


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig